[X-Unix] Copy old system to new machine

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 8 02:27:27 PST 2004

On 3/8/04 11:23 AM, "Lewis, Benjamin (Ben)" <blewis3 at lucent.com> wrote:

> I recently migrated from an iBook to a G5. I was a little nervous about doing
> a clone as the hardware in question is different. Which model are you coming
> from/going to?

I moved from a G3 iBook to a G4. I think the system installs everything that
would be needed for the G5.

> I installed the G5 system from the disks which came with the G5, made new
> users, re-installed applications and then copied  the home directories over
> the network.

But do your users show up in the Login window? If you merely copy their
files, they are not listed in the NetInfo database, and, therefore, do not
exist.

> This seemed to work well even though it was more work. Preferences and
> favourites were preserved. The only problem is that I have Airport and battery
> icons in the Menu Bar. Anybody know how to get rid of them? (sifting through
> ~/Library/Preferences hasn't turned up anything)

Hold down the Command key, click the icons, then drag them off the menu bar.
Poof!

Kirk

        My latest book: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
                  http://www.mcelhearn.com/htde.html
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .