[X-Unix] Panthers Virtual Memory

Adrian Simmons adriman at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 27 07:33:05 PST 2004

Adrian Simmons wrote:
> I'm going to experiment with some of this right now

Ok, I set /etc/rc like so (all on one line of course, watch out for the
wrap):

dynamic_pager -H 40000000 -L 320000000 -S 256000000 -F ${swapdir}/swapfile

And after starting up had one swapfile:
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:42 swapfile0

Then opened up a tonne of apps:
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:42 swapfile0
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:54 swapfile1
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:56 swapfile2
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 15:03 swapfile3
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 15:16 swapfile4

And quit them:
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:42 swapfile0
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:54 swapfile1
-rw------T   1 root  wheel       244M 27 Mar 14:56 swapfile2

Just to confirm - all the options detailed in the man page still work.
Which means all these people having problems with Panther's VM (creating
large swapfiles and then not deleting them till reboot) can probably fix
them by playing with how /etc/rc calls dynamic_pager.

On a sidenote:
Also, I discoved a 500mb VM storage file on my swap partition - I
started in classic a couple of days ago, that's OS9's vm file - so I
deleted that, but it obviously didn't help my vm situation, no doubt
panther wouldn't have complained the disk was full without that there,
and I wouldn't have been prompted to figure out all this :)

Adrian