Starting again, properly with Panther

Justin French justin at indent.com.au
Mon Mar 29 19:11:38 PST 2004

Hi all,

I hope this is an okay place to ask -- if not, please point me in the
right direction.

I'm currently running 10.2.8 as my desktop system, including
Apache/MySQL/PHP/Perl for web development.  When I first began with
OSX, I had no real idea what I was doing, so I followed a lot of
"tutorials" about setting up PHP, MySQL, etc, which I believe resulted
in a really messy install, and a lot of crud.

I'd have no idea how to recompile or upgrade PHP, add libraries and
modules to it, etc etc, and I fear that (for example) upgrading to
Panther might have a bad effect on what I've already installed.

My aim is to make it as easy as possible for me to add, upgrade,
recompile etc new software (like PHP) "the right way", so that I'm
never in this position of "not knowing what to do" ever again.

What I'd like to know is how I can clean up as much crud as possible,
and start doing things the right way.

Off the top of my head, this is what I think I need to backup:
- everything in my home directory (includes my htdocs) (easy)
- httpd.conf (easy)
- php.ini (easy)
- mysql conf and databases (no idea how to do this properly)

I'll probably also do a general back-up of my entire HDD using Carbon
Copy Cloner <http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html> to my second
internal drive too.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should attempt to delete anything
Apache/PHP/Perl/MySQL from my system or not... and if so, what the best
way would be.

I'm also unsure if now would be the right time to upgrade to Panther,
or if it should be later.

Then I think I should look at installing something like Fink
<http://fink.sourceforge.net/>, which appears to be what I need for
convenience, clarity, convention and simplicity.  My understanding is
that it will "help" me install, compile, recompile, etc new software
the "right way"... however, it looks to me like the ports are a fair
way behind the current stables... eg PHP looks to be at 4.0.6-4 in
Fink, but they're up around 4.3.4 in "real life".

I'd then need to copy across httpd.conf (easy), php.ini (easy) and
mysql database stuff (no idea) so that I don't loose any data, or any
of my old server's behaviour.

If anyone can provide some advice on the best way for me to clean up
and move forward, I'd really appreciate it.  To recap, my goals are (in
no particular order):

- make sure i don't loose any mysql or document data
- clean out old installs of Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl
- upgrade to Panther
- perform a clean install (in the "right place") of Apache, MYSSQL,
PHP, Perl, etc), with the option to recompile, add modules and
libraries, etc, and the knowledge to do it all properly.
- re-use conf and ini files to keep behaviour as close to the original
as possible

Thanks in advance,

---
Justin French