[X-Unix] Starting again, properly with Panther

James Avgeris jima at itempo.com
Mon Mar 29 20:18:28 PST 2004

On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:11 PM, Justin French wrote:

> - perform a clean install (in the "right place") of Apache, MYSSQL,
> PHP, Perl, etc), with the option to recompile, add modules and
> libraries, etc, and the knowledge to do it all properly.

Apache, PHP and Perl are already installed on OS X. Unless you need to
compile in additional features that aren't part of the default install,
you won't need to do anything with these three (otherwise see below).
These are the best tutorials I've found:

MySQL:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/osdb.html

PHP:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/php.html

Perl:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/perl.html

Apache:
(I don't know of anything OS X specific. Apache.org is a good place to
start though.)

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Backup.html

> Off the top of my head, this is what I think I need to backup

Don't forget the /Library/Webserver/ directory if you have any files
there.

> I'm also unsure if now would be the right time to upgrade to Panther,
> or if it should be later.

I'd do Panther first.

Hope this helps,
-Jim