[X-Unix] deleting files

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Mon May 3 09:31:00 PDT 2004

On 30 Apr, 2004, at 12:45, Raoul Armfield wrote:
> I am having some issues deleting certain folders either from the finder
> or from the CLI.  I get permission denied errors.  When I look at the
> permissions I am the owner and have read/write permissions to these
> folders.  However, I notice that there is a little lock symbol on the
> folder and the locked box is checked off and greyed out thus I am
> unable
> to unlock it.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how to unlock these folders?

Either use getinfo and uncheck the lock box, or use chflags from the
command line

man chflags ...

        chflags nouchg <filename>

They are locked in the "extension" -- ls does not show the information
since it was written before the extension was added to the BSD file
system and nobody ever updated ls.
Apple is (one of?) the only vendor to actually use the extension, even
though it has been in the BSD file system for almost 10 years now
(1995).

If you have the developer tools loaded:

/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo

GetFileInfo -a <filename>

will return a string of letters -- lowercase means not set; uppercase
means set
(There is also a perl version of GetFileInfo)

(man SetFile  -- allows you to set them.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com