[X-Unix] How to set up initial xterm defaults (or what do you use as a xterm on the Mac)

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon May 3 00:18:54 PDT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 02:37:07PM -0400, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
:
: On May 1, 2004, at 10:00 AM, David Ledger wrote:
: >
: >I use
: >	xterm -ls -sb -sl 10000  -name ...   -title ... ...
: >-ls	= login shell - make the shell running in the new xterm window a
: >login shell that reads .profile etc.
: >-sb	= scroll bar
: >-sl <n>	= no. of scrolback lines = <n>
: >-name	set the contents of the title bar and name of the icon
: >-title	(if you can iconise rather than dock on minimise)
:
: 	Hi David! Though the response was not meant for me, it has proved to
: be very useful nonetheless,... long live the mailing lists ;-) There's
: still one thing lacking in my xinitrc file however, and I thought I
: could ask you: is there any setting that could take over the dimensions
: of the xterm window? I'm looking for something akin to the "Dimensions"
: settings in the "Window" section of Mac OS X's Terminal's "Window
: Settings" panel. I tried looking in X11.app's Preferences but couldn't
: find anything to that effect. Wait... I just found out xterm is
: documented (man 1 xterm), but it's a looooong page! You think you could
: help me here?

It's a geometry setting that is standard among most X programs.

	xterm -geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT

where WIDTH and HEIGHT are the number of characters, respectively.

For more details:

	man 7 X

--
Eugene Lee