[X-Unix] Forwarding X11 and launching apps

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun May 9 14:53:13 PDT 2004

On May 9, 2004, at 6:10 pm, Adrian Simmons wrote:

> I'm now looking for easier ways for my better half to launch X11
> applications when using forwarded X11. I'm assuming the Applications
> menu of Apple X11 is a non-starter - how would you tell it the path to
> application on a different machine when you have no disks mounted from
> that machine?

I think it takes the path from the user's login profile on that
machine. That is to say the user's .bash_profile, .basrc or whatever
that system uses.

`man ssh` says:

    ssh [-l login_name] hostname | user at hostname [command]

   DESCRIPTION
      ssh (SSH client) is a program for logging into a remote machine
and for
      executing commands on a remote machine.

Note the "command" option - certainly X11's Applications menu seems to
work here.
See http://compaq.stroller.uk.eu.org/Mac/ThisWorksHere.pdf   [1]

I have, however, had less success starting a kde / QT application in
this way - it looks like those libraries may try to do something clever
writing their stderr to the terminal. Opening an ssh sesson & typing
`rekall` once logged in works fine, but `ssh -X compaq rekall` causes
the application to open missing some buttons & menus. I have not played
with this, however, as I only tried it in order to reply to your
message.

HTH,

Stroller.

[1] Apache seems to be moody on my machine ATM, so if you 404 let me
know & I'll kick it.