[X-Unix] running xterm commands from .xinitrc

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue May 11 20:14:57 PDT 2004

On 09 May, 2004, at 09:21, Adrian Simmons wrote:
> I'm trying to do things like this:
> xterm -geometry 80x24 -sb -rightbar -fg white -bg navy -e
> .sshconnect.sh &
>
> or:
> xterm -geometry 80x24 -sb -rightbar -fg white -bg navy -e "ssh -X
> 192.168.0.2" &
> As an aside, the xterm windows now appear under the OSX menu bar - I
> can't find the fix for that either, anyone help?

You have to position the window ... you are leaving off the
coordinates, only specifying the size:

"-geometry geom               size (in characters) and position"

The default is  "xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0" This positions the window
in the upper right hand corner (0,0) ... under the menu bar!

This is one set of corrdinates, toward the left side of the screen,
down about a quarter inch, for the command line.

xterm -geometry 80x20+494+51 &

Or put this in your .Xresources file:

xload*geometry:                         180x80-0+25

Note that "+25" is the magic number -- anything less than that will put
you under the menu bar!

This will position an Xload on the right margin just below the title
bar.

Personally, I find it cleaner to put things I use all the time, like
"-sb -rightbar -fg white -bg navy" in the .Xresources file, so that the
command line is not as cluttered.

xterm*foreground:                       white
xterm*background:                       blue
xterm*rightScrollBar:                   trueM

If you don't find a man page for xterm, use:

man -M /usr/X11R6/man xterm

That is where all of the X11 man pages reside, and the manpath should
find them.
====

I haven't played with executing commands from the xterm command line
for a while, but if I remember correctly, the arguments need to be in
quotes, not the "command". So:
> -e "ssh -X 192.168.0.2"
should be:
-3 ssh "-X 192.168.0.2"

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com