[X-Unix] IP Aliasing + DNS gives freaky hostname.

Thomas Juntunen juntunen at crc-inc.com
Thu Nov 4 05:15:55 PST 2004

On 11/04/2004 06:58, "Adrian Simmons" <adrinux at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> The problem I'm having is that once I have IP aliasing set up and
> several hosts defined in /var/named for an aliased IP my hostname
> becomes a list of all the hosts I've defined! Literally about six in a row.

You aren't doing anything wrong, that's the way DNS works. Since all those
names resolve to the same IP address, how is the resolver to know which one
is desired at any particular time? It can't, so it returns them all in
alphabetical order. This usually doesn't hurt anything, but some client
software only uses the first name returned and ignores the others, which may
be a problem.

> ; Hosts
> perlucida.dev.                        IN A     192.168.0.20
> contemplationspace.perlucida.dev.     IN A     192.168.0.20
> opprints.perlucida.dev.               IN A     192.168.0.20
> perlucida.perlucida.dev.              IN A     192.168.0.20
> watchwords.perlucida.dev.             IN A     192.168.0.20
> woodfordgolf.perlucida.dev.           IN A     192.168.0.20
> xstalbio.perlucida.dev.               IN A     192.168.0.20

Perhaps you should make all the subdomains aliases (CNAME records) of the
actual domain. I don't think CNAMEs get listed the way A records do, but I'm
not sure about that.

HTH,
Thomas Juntunen