[X-Unix] Putting Serial # into System Profiler

Phillip Burk philburk at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 15:07:21 PST 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 5:25 PM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On 11/24/04 11:03 PM, "Marley Graham" <mgraham at aquaflo.com> wrote:
>
>> Apple System Profiler displays the serial number in only about half of
>> our company computers (mostly iMacs). How would one go about entering
>> serial numbers into the Apple System Profiler for the rest of them?
>
> I never thought you could "enter" them - I always thought they were
> hard-wired into something on the motherboard. It seems more surprising
> that
> some of them _don't_ show serial numbers. I'd ask Apple.

I was under the impression that the serial number was stored on the
hard drive.  When the drive is initialized (at least in older Macs, not
sure how old) the serial number is erased.  I remember hearing about a
classic application that would put the serial number back.  I'll see if
I can dredge up some more information for you.