[X-Unix] Files Whose Names Begin With "."

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Wed Nov 24 20:32:32 PST 2004

I understand now, as I suspected, that these are resource forks.  My trouble
was that I was not putting the extension-dots in the wildcards, because my
filenames have extensions.  For some reason, the resource forks need the "."
and "*" to reflect the filenames.  From further experimenting, I found that
I need two commands:

rm -f *

The first command deletes the data forks only, the second command deletes
the resource forks only.

Simply "rm .*" gives an error message like this:

JerrysMac:~/junk jk$ rm -R .*
rm: "." and ".." may not be removed

I don't quite understand it all, but my problem is solved.  Thanks for all
the help.