[X-Unix] Files Whose Names Begin With "."

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Thu Nov 25 07:24:20 PST 2004

On 11/24/04 5:46 PM, "Brian Medley" <bpm-list-osx-unix at 4321.tv> wrote:

>> AND the parent directory!  If you want a test run
>>
> In general, I believe that's a good practice.  However, on my box in 10.3.6:
>
> rm: "." and ".." may not be removed

Of course not.  I should have said "contents of the parent directory."

A guy at our shop learned that lesson the hard way, when he ran "chown
owner[:group] .*" and ".." was "/home" (containing a couple of thousand user
home directories at the time).  Luckily for him the damage was relatively
easy to repair. :)

--
Rod

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh