[X-Unix] Networking when booting OS X in text mode

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Thu Oct 7 20:03:28 PDT 2004

Dan Frakes wrote:

>"William H. Magill" <magill at mcgillsociety.org> wrote:
>

>>The answer is actually "simple."
>>
>>There are some configurations which are "system wide" and some which
>>are dependent upon the individual user.
>>
>>Each user can configure their own "location" profile, which includes
>>which network interfaces are being used, and how.
>>

>As a side note, this isn't accurate. Network Locations are not
>user-specific. Network preferences -- including Locations -- are system-wide
>settings.

Well, I did a wee bit of testing today, and it seems the airport
networking is launched after I log in graphically at least once. Then,
the adapters spring up correctly in ifconfig in console mode.

I am pretty sure Network preferences and locations are system wide, I
think my problem is probably related to the airport applet or airport in
general.

Or maybe I'm just special.

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.