[X-Unix] >console login problems

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Oct 7 20:58:08 PDT 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 9:17 PM, Justin Herald wrote:

> Yea, I do have root enabled.
>
> I have to wonder if it has anything to do with /etc/ttys because i
> tried editing that file a while ago to accomplish no login window, but
> when I did that what happened was my screen flashed twice, then
> continued to boot up normally until it came to loading the login
> window then it made no more progress. Then I tried logging in with
> single user, but nothing would show up on my display. I was lucky that
> I always enable telnet, ssh, ftp, etc. I couldn't login with telnet
> from my linux machine with the ibook running on airport, so what I had
> to do was plug it into the router and change the comments back.
>
> Inconsequential, I know. But maybe that problem would shed light onto
> this current problem.
>
> On Oct 7, 2004, at 9:56 PM, Eric Crist wrote:
>
>> If you don't have the root account enabled, try that
> -- Justin Herald

Copy/paste your /etc/ttys file here and I'll take a look at it, if
you're still having problems.  When you try to boot into single user
mode, you need to press command-s AFTER the startup tone, and before
you get the gray screen with an apple (i.e. during the gray screen
without the apple.  If you press/hold the combination before the
startup tone, the system will hang)

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks