[X-Unix] Memory issues

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Oct 10 13:22:24 PDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

Reading the latest posts, it seems a good time to ask about this annoying
issue I have and bring the creative genius on this list back to focus?

I seem to be losing an incredible amount of memory somewhere when I am using
my PowerBook and have been trying to keep tabs on this with Activity
Monitor. It appears that Safari must be allocating most of this and not
setting it free as well as iTunes which I am using to rip my CD's to AAC
tracks...(assuming this from proc. power from terminal using top)

Anyway, when I quit, after clearing the cache and history as well as cookies
in Safari and also quit iTunes I still seem to have the memory reduction (I
am paging out in some cases and my fan is coming on more often) even after
several minutes.

I can free some of it back up (to the usual 200+ MB free) by running the
sudo periodic monthly daily etc...This however seems the band aid
solution...

Does anyone know what is causing this (better yet, a memory allocation tool
to display what is being held for what) or how I can control it better? I am
rather polite to the portable and am not running more than a few apps at a
time and I am not developing or compiling or such...

I do plan to get some more RAM (and this is a good excuse to go to the wife
with) however has the system (or some apps) gotten that bad with memory at
this early stage in OS X?

PB17 1.33 512MB RAM, 10.3.5

Thanks for any help or comments in advance,

Richard
--
We now return you to your regular programming...where, back at the ranch,
biometrics and tighter passport controls in the US were proving popular and