[X-Unix] Modifying .bashrc to display dns name of machine I'm logged into

Lewis, Benjamin (Ben) blewis3 at lucent.com
Wed Oct 13 07:33:51 PDT 2004

>I would appreciate if you would at least _try_ to search for an answer yourself, and if you
cannot find what you're looking for, or don't understand the information you find, the ask the list.

Hi Eric

9 times out of 10 I would agree but sometimes it's no so easy to do this. I was doing a deployment at a customer site in Saudi last year and ran into an Oracle problem. I started my usual procedure of pasting the error code into google but found that web access was blocked. I asked someone in the office if I could use his computer to access google and he replied "What is google?". True story, nobody had web access in the office apart from the marketing department and even that was heavily filtered.

Since then I always try to have some real books with me just in case!

Best regards

Ben