[X-Unix] UFS volume full?

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Oct 14 20:48:27 PDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 10:24 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2004, at 06:09, Eric Crist wrote:
>
>> On Oct 13, 2004, at 11:15 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 20GB UFS partition on my G5, which is used exclusively for
>>> a news spool (using leafnode).  Typically, this runs about 10-15%
>>> full, with maybe 50 directories containing thousands of files.
>>> However, intermittently, the volume will show as being full - df
>>> reports 100% usage (space, not inodes), and write attempts to the
>>> volume fail with disk full messages.
>>>
>>> When I realize this, I go into the mail spool directory and start
>>> doing du -sh summaries on each of the dozen news subdirectories, to
>>> see where all the space has gone.  Inevitably, I'll get about
>>> halfway through this process, with the directories reporting normal
>>> usage; when the volume will revert to normal status.  Note that I'm
>>> not deleting any files during this process, just touching them with
>>> du.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?  I was thinking inodes or sparse files somehow, but
>>> nothing really fits the symptoms.  If I hit a file limit in a
>>> directory, would that report the whole volume as full?
>>>
>>> KeS
>>
>> Try doing an fsck on the disk to make sure everything is OK.
>
> Done, no errors reported.
>
>>   Other than that, are you using UFS1 or UFS2?
>
> Umm, not sure how I'd tell?  I'm using whatever Panther creates when
> you set up a UFS partition using Disk Utility.
>
>>   Is the entire 20GB one logical partition?
>
> Sorry, not sure I understand your question.  It's a slice
> (/dev/disk1s5) out of a 250GB drive, mounted at /Volumes/Unix.  It has
> the directory /var/spool/news with all the files under it, and that is
> soft-linked from the "real" /var/spool/news.
>
> KeS

Well, that last statement doesn't make any sense.  Keep in mind that /
is your ROOT partition.  i.e. this means your primary boot partition.
Now, there's the possibility that you've got a
/Volumes/Unix/var/spool/news that is a symbolic (what you call soft)
link to /var/spool/news, but there is not two /var/spool/news
directories on the system.  does this make sense?  It's good that you
didn't get any errors on an fsck, but what options did you use when you
ran it?  Are you using journaling on the UFS partition?  Are you
_certain_ that it's space and not inodes?  Often, with news servers,
there are so many small files that you run out of inodes.  check this
to make sure, possibly post results of df -h and du -d 1
/Volumes/Unix/var.

This would help greatly.

-----
Eric F Crist