[X-Unix] UFS volume full?

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Fri Oct 15 09:53:25 PDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Eric Crist wrote:

> > Sorry, not sure I understand your question.  It's a slice
> > (/dev/disk1s5) out of a 250GB drive, mounted at /Volumes/Unix.  It has
> > the directory /var/spool/news with all the files under it, and that is
> > soft-linked from the "real" /var/spool/news.
> >
> > KeS
>
> Well, that last statement doesn't make any sense.  Keep in mind that /
> is your ROOT partition.  i.e. this means your primary boot partition.
> Now, there's the possibility that you've got a
> /Volumes/Unix/var/spool/news that is a symbolic (what you call soft)
> link to /var/spool/news, but there is not two /var/spool/news
> directories on the system.  does this make sense?

Yes, that's the situation, sorry if it wasn't clear (that's what I
intended by saying that /var/spool/news was "under" the /Volumes/Unix
mount point.

>  It's good that you didn't get any errors on an fsck, but what options
> did you use when you ran it?

None - are there specific ones you'd like me to use?  This volume is
readily unmounted at any time, since all it holds is news, so I can play
with it readily.

>  Are you using journaling on the UFS partition?
No.

>  Are you _certain_ that it's space and not inodes?

No.  I'm certain that df -hi reported 10% inode usage while reporting 100%
space usage when the problem manifested.

>  Often, with news servers, there are so many small files that you run
> out of inodes.  check this to make sure, possibly post results of df -h
> and du -d 1 /Volumes/Unix/var.

Ok, bear in mind that the condition is NOT present at the moment:

babelfish:~ kes$ df -hi /Volumes/Unix
Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused   ifree %iused  Mounted
on
/dev/disk1s5    20G   6.1G    13G    32%  524368 4677678   10%
/Volumes/Unix

babelfish:~ root# du -d 1 /Volumes/Unix/var
3798688 /Volumes/Unix/var/spool
3798690 /Volumes/Unix/var

> This would help greatly.

Here you go!