[X-Unix] Apache & ifconfig

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Mon Oct 18 16:14:11 PDT 2004

G'day Folks

Thanks for replies so far. A few bits about what I'm up to ...

I'm very much a learner with Apache, that's why I'm working my way
through ATDG & some of what I do may be due to ignorance.

The setup I'm trying to create a testing server only. It will never be
accessed from outside my LAN & seldom from any computer but the Mac it
resides on. For other computers on my LAN I understand the need to have
the appropriate entries in the hosts files of those computers.

Some of the test sites will need SSL. Currently 2 do & it's a realistic
future consideration for any of the ones in the setup shown in my
original post. Until I came upon the need for SSL I had all my virtual
servers on 127.0.0.1 with Apache listening on different ports for each
one & not bothering with names so I was using localhost:8080,
localhost:8081 etc. Of course that came unstuck when I first needed to
setup SSL for one of them. Advice I've taken from a friend who's
helping with my httpd.conf is that sticking with separate IP addresses
is the safest, although not necessarily simplest, option for my needs.

I  now have pedro.mars.local on 192.168.18.1 & plowman.mars.local on
192.168.18.2 both working but when I moved on to the next ones
[starting with shakti.mars.local on 192.168.18.11] they aren't working
for me. Pinging them I get "Host is down" by either name or IP address
& I can't see why given they're so similar to the ones that do work.

On 18/10/2004, at 9:19 PM, Eugene wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:52:37AM +0200, Jakob Peterhänsel wrote:
>
> : The GUI [Off Topic?] way of adding more than one IP to an interface
> in
> : X, is to select Network Port Configurations in the Show pop-up in
> : Network CP, select en1 and hit Duplicate. Then you can even give it a
> : name like "en1-host2.com" or something...
>
> The GUI method saves the IP aliases into the NetInfo database.  So the
> settings are preserved through restarts.  But using ifconfig manually,
> the settings are lost on restarts and the commands must be re-entered
> every time.

On this I take it I'd configure TCP/IP manually with the IP address
being that of the virtual server I want using it. However what do I put
for Subnet Mask, Router, DNS Servers & Search Domains? Can it be done
through NetInfo Manager? If so how? I'm Googling that as I send this :)

TIA &
Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp