[X-Unix] How to find your DHCP server...

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Fri Sep 17 12:13:22 PDT 2004

On 16 Sep, 2004, at 20:37, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

>> It does "fail silently," and $? will yield a "1" ... the program DID
>> complete successfully, it just had nothing to say about the
>> interface.
>
> 	OK, not my taste of "feedback" but ok, fair enough...

Not feeback ... that is the way Unix programs have been written since
time immemorial!
(And yes, it is very annoying.)

> 	Still, I can't get anything out of ipconfig, and still haven't had
> the chance to ask my Darwin friends, maybe will tonight. In any case,
> thanks for your reply! Regards,...

"getpacket" will only work if you are talking to a DHCP server
directly. ...
or at least it does when the DCHP server is really a NAT server and is
an AEBS.

It "should" work with any DHCP server, but since it's a Microsoft
invention, and not standard IP, it might be that the AEBS is gimmicked
to respond to it. I don't know.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com