[X-Unix] Rendezvous lookup from command-line

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Fri Sep 17 12:46:43 PDT 2004

oops... the previous version  got sent too soon...

On 17 Sep, 2004, at 15:12, Brooks Graham wrote:
> Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I can ssh into any of
> my OSX boxes by appending ".local" to the host name.
>
> For example, I have a host named "mondo" and at the shell prompt, I
> can just type "ssh mondo.local"
>
> On Sep 17, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Stephen Jonke wrote:
>> I'm talking about when I have ssh'd into a remote machine on a remote
>> network

By definition Rendezvous addresses are visible only on the local
segment. They are not routed (and not visible through NAT).

You can ssh into your static host from a remote system, and then from
that static system use the <hostname>.local convention to connect to
the other machines on your network.

The "<hostname>.local" naming convention is defined on the sharing
preferences panel.

Obviously, this only works for OSX at this time, as nobody else except
a couple of printers supports Rendezvous.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com