[X-Unix] Rendezvous lookup from command-line

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Fri Sep 17 12:56:32 PDT 2004

On Sep 17, 2004, at 3:12 PM, Brooks Graham wrote:

> Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I can ssh into any of
> my OSX boxes by appending ".local" to the host name.
>
> For example, I have a host named "mondo" and at the shell prompt, I
> can just type "ssh mondo.local"
>
> HTH
>
> -brooks

	.local naming is used by Rendezvous, true, but what you describe
implies *knowing* that the mondo machine is offering ssh connections.
What the OP was asking for, if I understood correctly, is a tool that
would help him find what services are being offered over Rendezvous in
a LAN, much like the Rendezvous GUI applications offered at
versiontracker.com, but CLI based. The reason for his CLI preference is
that he ssh's into a box and from there wants to inspect the Rendezvous
services in the LAN that box belongs to, so there is no space for a GUI
tool. I've seen myself in a similar situation, since I maintain the LAN
at my work place and several times I've had to login and find out what
machines were left on, what services are being offered, etc. Luckily,
my LAN has fixed IPs and few OS X boxes (this one is the suck! --
hopefully up for change soon ;-), so it hasn't been so difficult
achieving my goal.

	Sorry Stephen, I can't help you much because I don't know what tool
could aid you in what you want :-(

		Juan