[X-Unix] Rendezvous lookup from command-line

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Fri Sep 17 14:44:00 PDT 2004

Couldn't you just do a tcpdump on port 5353 (MDNS) to see what machines
show up?  Then you could poke around on each of those machines and see
what services are being offered.  Or, if you know you are looking for
iChat via Rendezvous, then tcpdump on those ports to see which machines
are talking.  You'd want to make sure that tcpdump doesn't violate any
network policies, though.  (I've lost track of whether the original
poster was a net admin or not.)

My other thought was nmap, which isn't installed by default, but can be
installed via fink.  It's a bit much, though.  It can also probably get
you fired if it violates your network policy, so beware.  ^_^;

gretchen