[X-Unix] 10.3 FTP - Anon Read Only Access

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Sep 23 13:07:11 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:28:09PM +0100, Steve Savery wrote:
:
: I've been trying to configure the FTP service on Panther Server (all
: the latest updates). However, while I can allow anonymous access, the
: user is not able to upload files. I've tried creating a symbolic link
: to a shared area with Everyone read/write access, but this still
: doesn't work. I don't want to create a user for people log on with
: unless I really have to as our clients are a bit dim. ;-)

Haven't played with Panther Server.  Your FTP server may not be able to
correctly traverse symlinks if anonymous access is chrooted and the
symlink target is outside of the chrooted directory.  Go back and start
with a real uploads directory (not a symlink), check the ownership and
permissions, etc.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/