[X-Unix] 10.3 FTP - Anon Read Only Access

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Thu Sep 23 23:17:47 PDT 2004

Eugene Lee wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:28:09PM +0100, Steve Savery wrote:
>:
>: I've been trying to configure the FTP service on Panther Server (all
>: the latest updates). However, while I can allow anonymous access, the
>: user is not able to upload files. I've tried creating a symbolic link
>: to a shared area with Everyone read/write access, but this still
>: doesn't work. I don't want to create a user for people log on with
>: unless I really have to as our clients are a bit dim. ;-)
>
>Haven't played with Panther Server.  Your FTP server may not be able to
>correctly traverse symlinks if anonymous access is chrooted and the
>symlink target is outside of the chrooted directory.  Go back and start
>with a real uploads directory (not a symlink), check the ownership and
>permissions, etc.

I concur. You could always try to set up (temporarily of course) a
folder in the ftp root, chown it to user which your ftp server runs as
and chmod it to 777. Just to see.

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.