[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Thu Apr 14 10:49:45 PDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> How many people, wonder actually use CL email and/or Usenet clients on a
> day to day basis nowadays? Many of you guys? Hardly at all? Do the
> disadvantages of the CL interface outweigh the flexibility of CL input
> and scripting? Or the other way around?

I use pine for news and mail every day when I'm at work, to access my home
system.  My alternative would be to run a web-based mail client like
SquirrelMail, but that wouldn't get me news (readily), and I find reading
web mail tediously slow.  I may set it up anyway, because there are kiosks
at some commercial locations that are locked down such that I can't use
SSH.

When I'm at home, I use Mail.app and NewsWatcher from my PowerBook or G5,
or Outlook Express (may become Thunderbird soon) from my WinXP box.  For
me, the greatest thing to do with mail was get it on an IMAP server so I
can hit it with all these different clients, yet have centralized/shared
administration of the messages.

The biggest issue I have with text mail isn't really with the mail client
- it's that I'm not in a position to launch web links readily, it's
copy/paste into the web browser on whatever system I'm using.

KeS