[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Fri Apr 15 19:46:11 PDT 2005

Kevin Stevens <groups at pursued-with.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>
> > How many people, wonder actually use CL email and/or Usenet clients on a
> > day to day basis nowadays? Many of you guys? Hardly at all? Do the
> > disadvantages of the CL interface outweigh the flexibility of CL input
> > and scripting? Or the other way around?
>
> I use pine for news and mail every day when I'm at work, to access my home
> system.  My alternative would be to run a web-based mail client like
> SquirrelMail, but that wouldn't get me news (readily), and I find reading
> web mail tediously slow.  I may set it up anyway, because there are kiosks
> at some commercial locations that are locked down such that I can't use
> SSH.
>
> When I'm at home, I use Mail.app and NewsWatcher from my PowerBook or G5,
> or Outlook Express (may become Thunderbird soon) from my WinXP box.  For
> me, the greatest thing to do with mail was get it on an IMAP server so I
> can hit it with all these different clients, yet have centralized/shared
> administration of the messages.
>
> The biggest issue I have with text mail isn't really with the mail client
> - it's that I'm not in a position to launch web links readily, it's
> copy/paste into the web browser on whatever system I'm using.
>
> KeS

Perhaps I ought to switch to IMAP, but one of favourite GUI clients
(MacSOUP) is POP only. Something to consider for the future, though.

I've also looked at my own web-based email and not found anything with
an interface I can live with. If anyone has I'd love to know.

You know - the real trouble with power user GUI OSX email clients I've
found is very few support decent message threading :-( MacSOUP
(excellent threading) and Apple Mail (clumsily IMHO - the thread UI
could be nicer) do, but MacSOUP is very simple (but efficient UI) in
certain areas and Apple Mail has no higher end features.

I'd kill for a marriage of MacSOUP and Apple Mail for example.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet