[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 16 02:26:32 PDT 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 3:46 am, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Perhaps I ought to switch to IMAP, but one of favourite GUI clients
> (MacSOUP) is POP only. Something to consider for the future, though.
>
> I've also looked at my own web-based email and not found anything with
> an interface I can live with. If anyone has I'd love to know.
>
> ...Apple Mail has no higher end features.

IMAP is the Way To Go (tm) - if you start using it, I'm sure you'll
never go back.

I'm in the process of migrating my mailserver to one with a RAID array,
for which I paid less than a hundred quid. For the redundancy & the a
mount of reassurance that'll give me over my data I consider it
extremely good value. With IMAP I get  exactly the same view of my
email if I'm on my laptop or desktop Mac, and a similar view on my new
mobile phone / pda.

I can live quite well with the Squirrelmail webmail interface, which
runs on my server - admittedly I'd prefer Google-like indexing &
searching, but Squirrelmail gives me a very acceptable interface to the
same messages & folders I see on my Macs or on Outlook Express when I
occasionally use it at my mother's.

Apart from threading, which I admit is poor, what high-end features
would you like to see from Mail.app? Admittedly I do all filtering on
my mail as it arrives on the server, but I don't need anything it
doesn't give me. I'm really looking forward to Smart Folders in Tiger.

Stroller.