[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sat Apr 16 06:39:07 PDT 2005

Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2005, at 3:46 am, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps I ought to switch to IMAP, but one of favourite GUI clients
> > (MacSOUP) is POP only. Something to consider for the future, though.
> >
> > I've also looked at my own web-based email and not found anything with
> > an interface I can live with. If anyone has I'd love to know.
> >
> > ...Apple Mail has no higher end features.
>
> IMAP is the Way To Go (tm) - if you start using it, I'm sure you'll
> never go back.

If ever manage to leave MacSOUP behind I'll switch to IMAP imediately,
for sure.

[snip]
> Apart from threading, which I admit is poor, what high-end features
> would you like to see from Mail.app? Admittedly I do all filtering on
> my mail as it arrives on the server, but I don't need anything it
> doesn't give me. I'm really looking forward to Smart Folders in Tiger.
>
> Stroller.

Hmm... well, threading with a decent UI is top of the list. If Apple
Mail had that I might even switch to using it, though I dislike the
three paned interface and the lack of 'tagging' articles or threads to
read. I being able to tag many threads I wish to read in MacSOUP and
read them all in one go, spacing through the messages.

Like I said earlier - threading, regular expression filters on any part
of messages (easily definable by users) and an easy to use UI is what I
look for. Apple Mail fails, well not miserably, but still is far from my
perfect ideal.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet