[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sun Apr 17 15:18:30 PDT 2005

On 16 Apr, 2005, at 17:34, James Bucanek wrote:
> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote on Sunday, April 17, 2005:
>> James Bucanek <subscriber at gloaming.com> wrote:
>>> Went to IMAP years ago.  Ran away screaming and cursing.  Will
>>> probably
>>> never go back.
>>
>> Why exactly, if you don't mind me asking?
>
> For my needs, it simply adds a useless layer of complexity to getting
> my mail.  Mainly, it's just dreadfully slow.  Even with a cable modem
> Internet connection, just opening my mail app was painful because it
> would have to re-sync with 100+ mailboxes.  Reading a hundred local
> files is orders of magnitude faster.
>
> It was also a dog getting mail.  To apply any kind of complex
> filtering, every message still had to be downloaded to my local
> client, which would then have to send command back to the server to
> move the message around.  A POP client just gets the messages and does
> something with it (locally).  Much faster.  So IMAP actually created
> more Internet traffic than POP.
>
> If I want to run a script (like my mail archiving script) or
> re-process mail, often it had to be read (again) from the server, then
> more interminably slow IMAP commands have to sent back to the server
> to update the mailbox.  It's not like it didn't work, but the exact
> same procedure on local mailbox files are about a thousand times
> faster.  And, I don't have to be connected to the Internet to use
> them.
>
> I admit where IMAP can be really useful for someone who accesses their
> mail from multiple locations (like a home and work computer).  And if
> I were in that situation, I might consider setting up an IMAP account
> to do that.  But outside of that advantage, IMAP simply takes
> everything that a good POP client can do and gets in the way.

That's the entire difference between POP and IMAP.

The POP protocol was designed to download all your mail to your desktop
each time you connect to the server and not leave any messages behind
on the server. The primary assumption made by the POP protocol is that
you will always read mail from only one location. Using the "Leave mail
on server" option impacts POP even more than it does IMAP ... because
you have to down-load ALL your messages every time. [It also becomes
much more of a security issue if you use public clients.] That's slow
enough with 10 or 20 messages, but as you get to several hundred, it
gets painful. Plus the fact that most pop clients tend to barf as the
number of messages being processed (even locally) approaches a couple
of thousand... but that's a client problem, not an issue with the
protocol. The POP protocol is not designed to support either multiple
locations, or extensive "archiving" on the server.

The IMAP protocol was designed to leave the mail on the server so that
mail could be read from multiple locations and only download the
message headers to a client until a message is selected to be read. The
premise being that your mail processing would be done on the server.

The tradeoff is as you describe it -- local processing is faster, but
you must always access your mail from only one location, or be willing
to risk loosing mail you have downloaded to the "wrong machine."

If you have 150 mail boxes with thousands of messages (as I do) POP is
simply not a reasonable alternative unless you are willing to stick
bigger disk drives on your "desktop" machine instead of your mail
server ... or not archive anything "on-line." In my case, my IMAP
server is on my local network and accessing it takes place at 100 meg
speed.

Granted, if you are using some remote ISP's mail server, setting up a
local mail server is a bit of effort. In that case, POP is also
preferred in that you don't have to worry about your mail sitting
around on your ISP's backup tapes. (Assuming that you are paranoid
about such things in the first place.)

BTW, don't forget most Cable Modem connections are only 1.5 meg or
maybe 3 meg in speed. They may clock at 10 meg, but that's not their
throughput speed. They are actively limited. For example, several
different services in this area (Philadelphia) charge different rates
for "residential" - 1.5 meg; "gaming" - 3 meg; and "business" 3-5 meg.
I'm not aware of any local cable provider who will "guarantee" 10 meg
throughput, even for their business service.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com