[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

Scott J. Kramer x-unix at sjk.us
Sat Apr 16 15:50:53 PDT 2005

--On Saturday, April 16, 2005 10:26 +0100 Stroller
<MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Apart from threading, which I admit is poor, what high-end features
> would you like to see from Mail.app?

Did you mean *in* Mail.app?  What people consider "high-end" features
can differ dramatically depending on who you ask and what's relevant
and relative to their experience and needs.  Of course. :-)

I rely on certain power features from Mulberry, like Identities ...

Apple Mail still lacks the ability to associate different message draft
properties/attributes with different sender addresses.  For example,
this message is sent using my x-unix identity, specifying properties
like the From address and SMTP account.  Properties can be inherited
from other identities, usually the default one that's used when no
specific, overriding one is selected.

Other MUAs sometimes attempt something similar using "dummy" accounts,
which (IMO) is inferior to Mulberry's identity-centric method.  I create
new *identities* to use with different sender addresses instead of new
*accounts* for them.  Only an SMTP account is required by the sender,
not an IMAP/POP account, and that's in the identity.

Mulberry identities have made it easy for me to add and use dozens of
sender addresses in several domains.  Duplicating that functionality
in Apple Mail (and other MUAs) would be painful because of how sender
addresses are associated with accounts that can't inherit properties
from other accounts and unnecessarily include a POP or IMAP server.
Identities are one way to avoid the "dummy account" kludge.

Another useful feature of Mulberry is its differentiation of recent and
new messages.  And I dislike how selecting a message in Apple Mail can
cause unwanted previewing and marking it as read; I haven't found a way
to consistently avoid that.

Those are just a few items from near the top of my laundry list.

-sjk

PS - Am I the only one who thinks "A place to discuss Mac OS X from the
     perspective of the command line" in the To header of every message
     sent to this list is a bit excessive. ;-)