[X-Unix] E-mail server

Brent Baisley brent at landover.com
Thu Apr 21 13:55:40 PDT 2005

OS X ships with sendmail, no need for server version. You could also
install Postfix, which is what OS X Server uses. There's also qmail and
exim. Those are the most popular free ones. There are a bunch of
commercial ones of course, one by Tenon comes to mind.
The problem with implementing one of the open source ones is setting it
up for IMAP. POP access is fairly easy if you want to use qpopper from
Eudora. UW-IMAP has a bad reputation and Cyrus-IMAP, which Apple uses
on OS X Server, has problems compiling under OS X.

afp548.com has some good articles on setting up open source mail
servers on OS X. You could also search the O'Reilly web site articles.
Bottom line, using free open source software can be difficult
implement, but you'll get a robust, powerful mail server out of it.
Look to SquirrelMail for implementing a web interface to your mail
server.