[X-Unix] E-mail server

Andy Swanson swansoac at uwec.edu
Thu Apr 21 18:41:57 PDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Stroller wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 9:32 pm, Russell McGaha wrote:
>
>> I've been charged with setting up a small [10-15 user] e-mail server
>> at work; could anyone make any suggestions, or provide any links they
>> think would be good reading, for such an undertaking?
>
> Courier IMAP on Linux on a cheap x86 box. If you've never used Linux
> before, then this'd likely to be a PITA for you to set up, but I'm
> sure a web-based interface is available. For reliability & flexibility
> you can't go wrong.

I'm assuming you are not interested in getting a Xserve.
Sendmail is installed - but not activated - on OSX (client) Jaguar and
before.
Postfix is installed - but not activated - on Panther (client).

You might want to look into PostfixEnabler:
<http://www.cutedgesystems.com/weblog/Tutorials/PostfixEnabler.html>

Or SendmailEnabler if you are on and older version:
<http://www.cutedgesystems.com/weblog/Tutorials/SMSource.html>

PostfixEnabler will also allow you to turn on POP3 or IMAP (I don't
know how it does this).

Andy