[X-Unix] Bus Error with DarwinPorts app

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Aug 17 22:57:34 PDT 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 11:09 PM, ~flipper wrote:

> For a couple years (running Jag) I used a little executable called
> chmdump ...
>
> I knuckle under, do the install, by the book, and on any run of the
> exe, i get: Bus Error
>
> What Bus, what Error?

The memory bus. Data is being written or read that is not aligned
correctly with the chunks that your computer's memory is broken upinto.

Simplifying greatly, lets say the program in question is trying to
read or write four chunks of data and that your computer says that
all such data can only be read from or written to at even multiples
of four: 0, 4, 8, ...  If the errant program tries to read or write
the data at position one, for instance, the computer's hardware
catches the error and reports a bus error. (If the program tried to
read or write memory it didn't own it would report a segmentation
fault.)

Something has changed in Tiger, most likely the compiler, that is now
exposing an error in this program that has been there all along.

Since you didn't know what a bus error is I'm assuming that you're
not a programmer. You need to get a programmer to find and fix the
problem for you or report the problem to the author(s) and wait for
them to fix it.

Phil
--
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they