[X-Unix] cups

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Aug 19 12:32:24 PDT 2005

On 08/17/05, Richard Nagle <cms01 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> well, to make matter worst... can't seem to get into
> CUPS Mac OS X(10.3.9 ), its asking for a password.
>
> Never set a password for cups... what going wrong here ?
> yes, can print normal.. but wanted to check on something in cups,
> it use to work in 10.3.x..

On the Admin Documentation page <http://127.0.0.1:631/documentation.html>,
click on Help: <http://127.0.0.1:631/sam.html#13_2>, and search for
password:

CUPS Doesn't Recognize My Username or Password!

CUPS will ask you for a UNIX username and password when you perform
printer administration tasks remotely or via a web browser. The default
configuration requires that you use the root username and the corresponding
password to authenticate the request.

CUPS does not allow you to authenticate an administration request with an
account that has no password for security reasons. If you do not have a
password on yourroot account then you won't be able to add printers
remotely or via the web interface!

To disable password authentication you need to edit the
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file and comment out the lines reading:

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

under the <Location /admin> section. Then restart the CUPS server by
killing the cupsd process (use Activity Monitor or this CLI command: sudo
killall -HUP cupsd).