[X-Unix] two shell scripts for those behind dialup connections

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Aug 26 06:49:39 PDT 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

> I often find that I want to download a large PDF that isn't
> compressed.  (I don't know why they don't at least .zip them)
>
> Since I am behind a slow dialup connection, so it's worth a little
> extra effort to make the download faster.

Its been a long time since I've had to deal with this kind of issue
(since the days of X,Y,Z-modem transfers) for large files, but I
thought there was no need for compressing the file, since the modem
(s) should be doing it for you (compress->modulate->send->demodulate-
 >decompress). Or does this not happen when using IP?

Just curious about it and wondering if there isn't a more generic way
of doing it.

-Mike