[X-Unix] Re: two shell scripts for those behind dialup connections

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Aug 26 21:54:24 PDT 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> Its been a long time since I've had to deal with this kind of issue
> (since the days of X,Y,Z-modem transfers) for large files, but I
> thought there was no need for compressing the file, since the modem
> (s) should be doing it for you (compress->modulate->send-
> >demodulate->decompress). Or does this not happen when using IP?
>
> Just curious about it and wondering if there isn't a more generic
> way of doing it.

Nope.  If I try to download an 180kb .pdf file that can be
compressed, it's still trying to download 180kb.

I'm not sure if it has to do more with http or IP.

I'm wide open to suggests on improving the experience.  I'm still
hoping to find some sort of an invisible compressing proxy I could
install on the server I dial into, but until then, this is as close
as I've come.

TjL