[X-Unix] Compile Error ?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sat Aug 27 07:22:29 PDT 2005

On Aug 27, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Richard wrote:

> Was trying to compile a email client, called elmo,
> I do have xtool installed, and was suppose to be a easy compile,
> according to the readme.txt file.
>
> Here my output via terminal window....
>
> FastMAC:~/desktop/elmo-1.3.2 rn$ ls
> ABOUT-NLS       COPYING         Makefile.in     TODO
> config.rpath    depcomp         interface.pl    po
> ADVOCACY        ChangeLog       NEWS            aclocal.m4
> config.sub      doc             intl            src
> AUTHORS         INSTALL         README          config.guess
> configure       exec_table.pl   missing         themes
> BUGS            Makefile.am     THANKS          config.h.in
> configure.in    install-sh      mkinstalldirs   ylwrap
> FastMAC:~/desktop/elmo-1.3.2 rn$ ./configure
> sed: 1: conftest.sed: invalid command code ?
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for nawk... no
> checking for awk... awk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure:
> error: C compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
> FastMAC:~/desktop/elmo-1.3.2 rn$
>
> --------------
> what is the problem, is it telling me, that there is no C complier
> installed?...
> I can see ( c++ and gcc 3.3 ) listed in the /bin folder.
>
> And according to the instruction, as I mention before...
>
> "If you downloaded a release of elmo, unpack the archive and type:
>
>    * ./configure
>    * make
>    * su -c "make install"
>
> ------------------------
> No so easy....
> Any help appreciated...
>
> Richard

Richard,

Most programs out there available with source come with that sequence
for installation.  It appears that your version of gcc (the GNU C
Compiler) is not configured to output executables.  Try going to
gnu.org and getting a current copy of GCC and try the installation
again.

Also, posting the output of config.log would help tremendously.

HTH