[X-Unix] OT: Web proxy?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Aug 28 05:12:46 PDT 2005

Sometime in August Eric F Crist assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hello list!
|
| I was wondering if anyone had a solution or was aware of one that
| would allow me to proxy websites through my server, remotely.  I
| often go to customer sites that block web-based email and other web
| sites.  What I would like to do is something like enter in the
| following address in the address bar to go to hotmail:
|
| proxy.secure-computing.net/?go=www.hotmail.com
|
| and have it load the page, etc and bypass the proxy servers of these
| clients.  I'm thinking this is going to break SSL and such, though.

Have you thought about using squid? It's free and it works well. I normally
run it on the telnet port since most corporate firewalls will allow traffic
through that port.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 john.m.harrold _at_ gmail  |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB