[X-Unix] Sync services in Tiger

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Mon Aug 29 20:38:55 PDT 2005

On 29 Aug, 2005, at 13:29, James Bucanek intoned:
> William H. Magill wrote on Monday, August 29, 2005:
>
>> 1- Does anybody have any proof that Sync Services (iSync or iPod)
>> WORKS under Tiger?
>
> I've been happily syncing my iCal and Address book between my
> PowerBook and PowerMac machines using .Mac since upgrading to
> Tiger. And I've been snycing between my Address Book and my
> Motorola cell phone. Other than that -- no, I can't prove that it
> works.  ;)

You have verified that the changes you make to your Address book
propigate to your .Mac address book and then back to your PowerBook.
(Or which ever).

My address book has many more entries than my .Mac account. The iSync
panel claims that the Synch takes place... but the .Mac account never
indicates that it has updated.

If one looks at the log files involved, the process appears to run
successfully but fails to post the changes.

My iPod has the same problem.

Both synched regularly under Panther. They synched ONCE under Tiger.
Once the synch operation wiped out the contents of the local Address
book.

> What does this have to do with UNIX?

While you might believe this to be an Application problem, that may
or may not be true. The fact that the Application is using TCP/IP
communications as a transport and calls upon other OS functions opens
up the possibility that there is are issues with what is taking place.

Historically, there have been people on this list who understand a
great deal about OSX (not Unix) and how it works. Especially this
kind of quirk. If you truly understand Unix, you also understand that
there are interrelationships between the OS and applications,
especially in OSX, which have "interesting" effects.

If you want to claim that Unix only applies to the Mach Kernel, then
99.9% of what gets talked about is not relevant.

I know that Apple has had significant problems with .Mac and iSync
since the release of Tiger. And I do not deny that this might be a
pure Application Problem, however since this is Unix, one expects
there to be logging and similar capabilities which can track down
this kind of issue.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.4.1
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com