[X-Unix] Sync services in Tiger

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Mon Aug 29 22:45:20 PDT 2005

William H. Magill wrote on Monday, August 29, 2005:

>On 29 Aug, 2005, at 13:29, James Bucanek intoned:
>> William H. Magill wrote on Monday, August 29, 2005:
>>
>>> 1- Does anybody have any proof that Sync Services (iSync or iPod)
>>> WORKS under Tiger?
>>
>> I've been happily syncing my iCal and Address book between my
>> PowerBook and PowerMac machines using .Mac since upgrading to
>> Tiger. And I've been snycing between my Address Book and my
>> Motorola cell phone. Other than that -- no, I can't prove that it
>> works.  ;)
>
>You have verified that the changes you make to your Address book
>propigate to your .Mac address book and then back to your PowerBook.
>(Or which ever).

Absolutely. If it wasn't working, I wouldn't remember to go to my doctor's appointment tomorrow (iCal), or have the number to dial (Address Book) -- both of which were entered on my desktop machine and I'm now looking at them on my laptop.

>My address book has many more entries than my .Mac account. The iSync
>panel claims that the Synch takes place... but the .Mac account never
>indicates that it has updated.

I did remember that I had to "reset" the iSync the first time after I upgraded to Tiger. I don't remember what I did, or what dialog popped up, but I did remember having to say that everything on the .Mac site was golden and to ignore whatever was on my laptop. It has synced just fine ever since.

>If one looks at the log files involved, the process appears to run
>successfully but fails to post the changes.

Very odd.

>My iPod has the same problem.

I've also had no problems syncing my iPod.

If iPod syncing didn't work, I'm sure there would be angry mobs with torches surrounding the Cupertino campus.

--
James Bucanek