[X-Unix] Setting up an SFTP server? Or possibly an SSH option?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 30 05:49:22 PDT 2005

Sometime in August Rad Craig assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I am trying to setup an SFTP server to download copies of our website
| backups.  We make a full backup once a week, just over 2GB right now.

You should consider just using rsync over ssh from your website to your
backup server. You can run it nightly, and after the first sync, subsequent
syncs will take no time at all. It's pretty simple:

rsync -av -e "ssh -2" user at webserver:/path/to/files/ /local/path/to/files/

If you setup your ssh key's you can do this without having to type in your
password and you can set it up as a cron job.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 john.m.harrold _at_ gmail  |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB