[X-Unix] Mac suddenly can't connect to Samba server

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Aug 30 08:09:49 PDT 2005

I've been able to use smb://freebsd to connect to my Samba server for
months and months.

Now when I try I get

     "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an
unexpected error occurred (Error code -50)"

I can connect to the machine (freebsd) via Samba by other machines on
the LAN, and I can ssh or telnet to the Samba server from my Mac.

I don't remember anything having changed on either the Mac or the
FreeBSD side, so I'm stumped as to what might be happening.

Anyone have a guess?