[X-Unix] SSH connection

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Dec 7 15:28:17 PST 2005

On Dec 7, 2005, at 3:16 PM, SeaSoft Systems wrote:

> I am trying to SSH into a remote computer for the first time
> (specifically my computer-phobic aunt's new iBook in another state;
> I'm on a 10.3.8 machine)
>
> I got her to read me her DHCP-assigned IP over the phone, and to
> turn on remote login in her system/sharing prefs. Had her reboot
> her system & then reconfirm remote login to be sure it took.
>
> So far, I haven't been able to ssh into her computer (ssh says port
> 22 connection refused). It may be I don't know what I am doing
> here, but I've read the ssh manpage & think I'm doing it correctly.
> I'm just typing, in a bash terminal window:
>
> ssh username at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> where I am using the correct username (I've tried both long and
> short user names here) and IP number.
>
> I expected to be prompted for her admin password, but so far the
> connection is refused before that can happen.

Is her computer hooked directly to the net (i.e directly to a modem
or DSL/Cable modem) or is she using a home router with NAT enabled?
If the later you/she will have to figure out how to map port 22 of
the public address to port 22 of her private address. Most home
routers have a way to do this.

Phil