[X-Unix] SSH connection

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Dec 7 15:58:17 PST 2005

On Dec 7, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> Is her computer hooked directly to the net (i.e directly to a modem
> or DSL/Cable modem) or is she using a home router with NAT enabled?
> If the later you/she will have to figure out how to map port 22 of
> the public address to port 22 of her private address. Most home
> routers have a way to do this.

Many ISP's block port 22 at their gateways to stop script kiddies
from port scanning for active SSH servers.  You can call tech support
and they'll tell you they don't have it blocked, but they do.  My ISP
does this very thing.  To get around it, run sshd on a non-privileged
port (like 1022), then connect to your remote host with:

ssh -p 1022 username at host

To run sshd on a non-standard port edit /etc/sshd_config.  On line 13
of that file remove the comment hash, then set the port number to
something other than 22.  Finally restart sshd to load the new config
file.

Since you don't have access to the remote machine I would make a copy
of your local file, edit it to your taste, then email it to your
remote host.  Instruct her to save the attachment to her desktop,
open Terminal, then drag n drop this command on the open Terminal
window:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/sshd_config /etc/sshd_config

It'll prompt her for an admin password.  To make things simple, just
tell her to reboot the computer after executing the copy command.  If
that works, her ISP is blocking port 22 at the gateway, just like
they do with me.

Regards,

--
Chris Olson