[X-Unix] Re: Displaying windows over the network

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Feb 17 02:10:35 PST 2005

Am 17.02.2005 um 01:32 schrieb
x-unix-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com:

> he problem is that once on remote_machine1, if I do another ssh -X
> remotemachine2 say, I can't open a window from that machine

That's completely correct: the tunnel ssh builds is from starting point
to end point, i.e. it's between remote_machine_1 and remote_machine_2.
If you want X11 clients from remote_machine_2 display on your local Mac
you have to ssh from your local Mac to remote_machine_2. That't how IP
works.

It might work to install a proxy (an IP server) on remote_machine_1
that connects the two tunnels local Mac <-> remote_machine_1 and
remote_machine_1 <-> remote_machine_2 ... but I don't think that has to
do with a secure mechanism!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh