[X-Unix] Re: Re: Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 26 15:09:51 PST 2005

On Feb 26, 2005, at 5:24 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 26.02.2005 um 16:30 schrieb
> x-unix-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com:
>
>> Unfortunately so. I've tried a few variations upon this already:
>>
>>    $ find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland -type f -ls
>>    find:
>> /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland/eÌ•yÌ√yÌ√yÌ√vkâ∆•â∆•..â∆•â∆•:
>> File name too long
>>    $ find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland -type f -print0
>>    find:
>> /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland/eÌ•yÌ√yÌ√yÌ√vkâ∆•â∆•..â∆•â∆•:
>> File name too long
>>
>> So. I don't get far enough to identify the inode number using `find`.
>
> So let's try a recursive listing with ls set up to print names in
> "binary":
>
> ls -ARfib /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland

:(

   $ ls -ARfib /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland
   ls: èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀: File name too long
   $

> -w instead of -b could be desastrous, but -q could be helpful.

$ ls -ARfiw /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland
ls: èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀: File name too long
$ ls -ARfiq /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland
ls: èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀: File name too long

> This switch should make ls print all non-7 bit characters as ? -- the
> default in Terminal, although you've set it to UTF-8! Apple's too big
> meanwhile that one hand does not know what the other is doing ...

Actually, it often _will_ display as question-marks, but othertimes as
accented characters.

   $ ls /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland
   e??y??y??y??vk??????..??????

I can't help wondering if this might be related to the fact that I'm
using iTerm, rather than terminal.app. I also have this strange idea
that in some of the emails I've received back from the list the
displayed characters have changed some - presumably this is another
encoding issue (I use Mail.app).

> ls usually prints the inode number in the first column. I hope that ls
> does this first and then finds: that damned file name can't be
> printed!

Nope, sorry. But keep watching this space...

Stroller.