[X-Unix] Re: Re: Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Feb 26 09:24:32 PST 2005

Am 26.02.2005 um 16:30 schrieb
x-unix-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com:

> Unfortunately so. I've tried a few variations upon this already:
>
>    $ find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland -type f -ls
>    find: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland/èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀:
> File name too long
>    $ find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland -type f -print0
>    find: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland/èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀:
> File name too long
>
> So. I don't get far enough to identify the inode number using `find`.

So let's try a recursive listing with ls set up to print names in
"binary":

ls -ARfib /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland

A do not mention . and ..
R run recursively
f don't even try to sort the directory's entries
i print the inode number
b print the name as if binary

-w instead of -b could be desastrous, but -q could be helpful. This
switch should make ls print all non-7 bit characters as ? -- the
default in Terminal, although you've set it to UTF-8! Apple's too big
meanwhile that one hand does not know what the other is doing ...

ls usually prints the inode number in the first column. I hope that ls
does this first and then finds: that damned file name can't be printed!

--
Greetings

   Pete