[mac-wizards] Re: [X-Unix] CPU speed

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Jan 5 05:37:44 PST 2005

On 5 Jan 2005, at 11:51, Eugene wrote:

> 1) Trim posts please.

Look back. It was.

> 2) Bottom post please (I'm only top-posting this one because it's too
> hard for me to fix).

i) This is a matter of taste. I prefer new content to be at the top of
a post as I'm not a goldfish and usually can remember the previous
posts. Any quoted matter I usually include for newcomers to the thread
- except when replying inline as I am here.

ii) Do as I say, not as I do?

iii) Or is this a deliberate wind-up?

> 3) What's does System Profiler say?

867 MHz.

Having searched online, the speed as given by sysctl (533 MHz) has been
attributed to PMU problems and faulty sysctl behaviour - although this
has all been from non-expert speculation / trial and error.

I found one post where someone had got an incorrect value and run some
benchmarking and then a correct value (reset PMU) and repeated the
benchmarking. The benchmark results did not seem to be significantly
different either way and so I'm assuming that this is a sysctl artifact
- although some confirmation from elsewhere would be neat.

ATB

Simon Forster