[X-Unix] Login Hooks II - thanks guys. One more issue - RESOLVED

Our PAl Al opa at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 11 09:37:57 PST 2005

I did think of that. Tried that idea, and even a couple of variations, but
it didn't work. Have no idea why.

Actually, I solved my problem by junking the Command Line and Login Hooks
entirely and went a more traditional GUI way. I hinted at that in my last
post yesterday, and since then found the solution. Did my last test this
morning.

I defined the item I wanted in the GUI under the User Account in System
Preferences, instead of using a Login Hook shell script.

I digged until I saw that Login Hooks are placed in
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist , where they are executed
as soon as one logs in, before the GUI.

System Preferences makes it's entries in
~/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist, where items are executed after you
have logged in in the traditional Mac sense, i.e. after you¹ve got the
Finder/Desktop. That¹s what I need for my case.

Now if you change the version of EITHER of these files that¹s in
/Library/Preferences/ instead of ~/Library/Preferences/ , you get something
auto-running for ANY User who logs into the Mac, not just that specific
account. Success!

Thanks to everyone who answered along the way. I¹ve learned a lot of useful
things for the future, once again.

- opa